Estate Planning

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Article of Interest

Our colleague Gary R. Smith wrote an article on the WealthSmith Financial Blog that we thought would be of interest:

If you are contemplating divorce and you have or will have Maine State Retirement…read on!


Read more . . .

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Beyond the Bottom Line

Engaging the business client in a meaningful conversation about passing the values on to the next generation can be a rewarding experience.  Knowing how to help the client focus on those values that helped establish the family legacy is the challenge.

Introduction:  As the focus of estate planning has moved from developing the best tax strategy to focusing on asset protection, values promotion, and virtues-driven planning, we as practitioners need to arm ourselves with tools to gain the client’s confidence, so that we can create plans that work not only at a financial level, but work for the founding generation, the successor generation, the clients and the other stakeholders. 


Too often the focus in estate planning for business owners has been on the financial legacy.  How much can we leave our kids, in what way, with minimal tax and administrative fees?  The problem with a focus on finances is that it can miss the mark in the overall business transition – and the health of the family business is a key element of the overall family legacy.
Read more . . .

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Planning in Time of Uncertainty

With the change in administration in Washington, along with Republican control of both sides of Congress, we are being asked what changes we expect in coming months in the area of estate and gift tax.  Should we expect that estate taxes go away?  If so, what else does that mean?


Estate taxes do not exist for 99.8% of Americans!  The proposal would eliminate estate taxes for the remaining 0.2%.  However, it may possibly replace the estate tax with an income tax by limiting how much basis “step-up” people will enjoy who later sell highly appreciated assets.

Read more . . .

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Welcome to Our New Website

Welcome to our new website blog. Check back soon for articles.

© 2018 Hopkinson & Abbondanza | Disclaimer
6 City Center, Suite 400, Portland, ME 04101
| Phone: (207) 772-5845
746 High Street, Bath, ME 04530
| Phone: (207) 386-0400

Estate Planning & Administration | Real Estate | Business Planning | | About Us

Law Firm Website Design by
Amicus Creative